Bilingual Extension Track
What is the Bilingual Extension to the Teacher for Students with Speech and Language Disabilities?
Is the BET Right for You?
- self-identify as a bilingual or multilingual communicator (American Sign Language and other signed communication codes are not included in the NYS certification pathway);
- intend to practice with pediatric populations ages 3-21 years in NYSED-funded agencies and programs; and
- will be able to travel to New York City up to five days a week for supervised clinical experiences.
What Course Work Is Required as Part of the BET?
- theories of bilingual education and bilingualism;
- multicultural perspectives in education;
- sociolinguistics and psycholinguistics;
- methods of teaching English language arts to bilingual English-language learners, including literacy and using the native language and English;
- methods of teaching native language arts to bilingual English-language learners, including literacy and using the native language and English; and
- methods of teaching other content appropriate to the teaching certificate to bilingual English-language learners and using the native language and English.
- Core courses (required of all students): All students in the CSD program benefit from content that is centered on equity and culturally responsive and sustaining practices.
- Required BET course (available as an elective to all students): Students in the BET will use three elective credits to enroll in a required course that provides specialized content focused on linguistically responsive and sustaining assessments and interventions. While this course is required for students in the BET, it is also available as an elective for non-BET students.
What Are the Clinical Requirements in the BET?
How Do You Gain Certification?
How to Apply
- Express interest in the BET on your application when you apply for admission to the CSD program.
- Once you’re accepted to the MS program and pay your deposit by the deadline, you will be sent a confirmation of interest form for the BET. Please return this form within 48 hours.
- Wait to be notified if a seat is available in the BET. We will notify you following the lottery if you have been accepted into the BET, as well as the next steps you must take to enroll.